Often, people do things that result in trust litigation, regardless of understanding their ultimate outcome. At Sirkin Law Group, our specialist attorney in trust litigation discusses what people do which can effectively interfere with their true intentions in their trusts.
What are the 16 things people do that result in Trust Litigation:
- Believing that one child needs more than the others.
- Believing that the kids will work it out among themselves.
- Making an amendment to a trust shortly after an illness.
- Believing that your children will never get divorced.
- Trying to punish the kids that don’t visit often with your estate planning decisions.
- Compensating a child for caregiving without saying why in your trust or will.
- Giving your caregiver money or gifts in your trust or will without getting an independent review.
- Changing your will or trust too many times.
- instructing that your house should not be sold in a trust or in a will.
- Failing to recognize that your daughter-in-law or son-in-law can influence your child’s decision about your trust.
- Not providing for what happens if a child dies without leaving kids.
- Creating an impossible life estate situation.
- Not considering the possibility of outliving your money, but wanting to leave the house to one child.
- Getting roped into saving a few dollars with online trusts.
- Not providing for special needs of a child or grandchild in a special needs trust.
- Leaving a business asset to one child, while trying to equalize the rest of the estate, without providing a formula.
Talk to our Mina Sirkin provides specialist trust services in Los Angeles advising clients about things that create trust litigation. Ms. Sirkin is Board Certified as a Specialist in Trust, Probate and Estate Planning in California. Call Trust Attorney, Mina Sirkin: 818-340-4479